Don’t Bury Me at Sea.

25 Aug

The Squire and I were sitting in the den this afternoon, working at our respective computers when the water pump kicked in. Mind you, we just had a go-round with the pump in June, so we both got up to see what was going on.

A pipe leading to the water heater has split.  When the men installed the tank three years ago, I told them they needed to use plastic pipe. “Our water is so acidic it will eat through the copper in no time.” Sorry, ma’am, but the county code calls for copper. County code be dammed, is my attitude, but I couldn’t talk them out of it. So here we are.

The split is just about at eye-level, and everything from your shoulders down is wet, clear to the floor.  Lovely.  The Squire turned off the pump, and began picking up bags of pet food, and anything else that was either wet or in the way. I called Mac and ran over to borrow their wet-vac. (At this rate, we ought to buy one for ourselves!) We called the emergency number on the side of the heater, but apparently they don’t take Sunday emergencies into their schedule. That will be the first call tomorrow morning.

So – we have cold running water, but not hot. I heated water on the stove to wash the dishes (The dishwasher was loaded.) and we did them the old fashioned way. We can still flush the toilet, but showers may be a problem. I think I’ll wait until tomorrow for that.

Enough with the water problems. Just don’t bury me at sea!

8 Responses to “Don’t Bury Me at Sea.”

1. Alien Resort August 25, 2019 at 10:15 pm #

Either the county code is wrong or what they told you about the county code was wrong.

2. AJ August 26, 2019 at 5:05 am #

Grrrr! I hope it’s all fixed quickly!

3. Val August 30, 2019 at 12:42 pm #

What a nightmare! Hopefully it’s fixed now?

I don’t know if you know, but you’ve got ads appearing all over your home page and two at the bottom of your post. As you’ve got your own domain and are almost certainly paying for a no-ads upgrade too, you will be able to chat to or email wordpress staff, so I’d suggest you do that and get it removed. I’ve seen a couple of other blogs who also have the same problem. I don’t know what the heck the site thinks it’s doing – but it ain’t working!

• thisendoftheswamp August 30, 2019 at 6:55 pm #

I knew there were some, but not that many! I’m not paying for the site, but it is certainly worth looking into. When I look at it all I see is my home page. Thanks for pointing it out.

• Val August 31, 2019 at 10:10 pm #

You’ll only see them yourself when you’re logged out (and don’t have an ad-blocker active) and have cleared your browser’s cache (otherwise it loads remembered pages). I think you probably are paying for the site – or someone is – as otherwise you’d have ‘wordpress’ as part of your blog URL, and you don’t. I can send you some screenshots by email, if you like.

4. thisendoftheswamp September 1, 2019 at 11:52 pm #

I looked at it from another computer. Wow! What a mess. I’ll have to look into an upgrade. Thanks for pointing it out to me.

• Val September 3, 2019 at 11:56 am #

You’re welcome. I think you need to check that you haven’t already got an upgrade, because your URL (web address) would not be thisendoftheswamp.com if you hadn’t. It’d be thisendoftheswamp.wordpress.com (You can still see the latter URL, anyway, from your dashboard/account settings, but nobody else can.) If you do, as I suspect, already pay for an upgrade, then you only have to talk to a ‘Happiness Engineer’ (aka wordpress dot com staff). If you’ve not paid for an upgrade, then there’s even more wrong as you definitely should only have ‘wordpress.com’ after your blog name.

5. Val September 3, 2019 at 12:12 pm #

You could contact them via the contact form here: https://en.support.wordpress.com/about-these-ads/